Friday 1 May 2015

An introduction

Back in 2012, I sold my beloved '02 MG TF and bought a regular saloon when my job changed location. The new location meant I'd be running up and down the motorway for an hour each way instead of flying around the country lanes so needed something more quiet and smooth.

I'd done a lot of cosmetic work on the car, particularly on the interior where I'd reupholstered in electric blue and fitted Mike Satur roll hoops.

Ever since then, I've missed the fun of a roof-down RWD two-seater. I'd had track days in the TF and since selling it have had a drive around Rockingham in an Ariel Atom. The Atom experience made me realise I needed to get a fun car again, and ideally I wanted something more 'raw' than the TF. I've since moved house, closer to work, and also have a garage for the first time in my life. I just need something to put in it...

I had been aware of Caterhams for a long time, but not so aware of the huge 7 replica kit car industry until a couple of years ago. I knew I couldn't afford an Atom or Caterham, but reading around it seemed possible to build a very nicely specced 7 style kit car for around £10k. In reading around online, I came across pictures of the Fury and immediately knew it was the car for me. It looked like a cross between the '60s roadsters and the American muscle cars I loved when growing up. I liked the idea of a 7 replica, but to be honest was never that keen on the styling/looks.

Whilst reading Rob Collingridge's excellent Fury build log, I noticed that he is based in Ipswich, less than an hour's drive from me. I got in touch and he was willing to take me out for a spin. It was immense. His car is one of the very finest Furys I've seen (from browsing online), and was the first I've seen in the flesh. He runs an R1 engine - it was a seriously visceral experience.

After that, I spoke with Steve at Fury Sports Cars, and starting getting ideas for what I will build. We mostly talked about engine options, and he has done plenty of one-offs, but not being very mechanically minded, I intend to play it safe with a Zetec. Steve claims these can be tuned to 170BHP+ quite easily, and that will suit me plenty!

I have my mind set on a Fury Spyder, with windscreen and a Lemans bonnet. No idea if that's where I'll end up...

No comments:

Post a Comment