Friday 8 May 2015

Visit to Fury Sports Cars

Today I visited Fury Sports Cars for the first time. I was very impressed witht eh setup and was lucky because they had three cars in at the time. One was a race car having a new Blackbird engine fitted, one was a Zetec and another was a superb Hayabusa.

Both Steve and Jake(?) were very welcoming, helpful and open. I was there for about two hours looking over the cars and discussing options. The Hayabusa car was probably the most professional and smart Fury I've seen to date. It is a complete factory build with metallic paint, a meaty bonnet scoop and beautifully frenched in lights. Clearly no expense spared. Apparently the guy who has ordered it is in his '70s! Respect.

I found it very reassuring meeting Steve in person and have him talk me through all the steps required to build. I was intimidated by the mechanicals, and was starting to think perhaps I'd get them to build a rolling chassis so at least there's a chance of me finishing it within the next year or so, but Steve said most of the serious time is in panelling the chassis, electrics and fitting the bodywork. The result is I'm now convinced again that I should build it from scratch. This was my initial plan, but with a toddler and another baby on the way, I'm gonna have to find some time!

We discussed bike engines a fair bit. Most of the furies I've seen are bike engined after all, and two of the three in shop were as well. It's obviously a popular route, but not for me this time at least! You will get 160bhp out of a 2.0l zetec on throttle bodies, and this can be raised up to ~200bhp with some work. That'll give some serious grunt.

Regarding bodywork, the paint job on the Hayabusa was gorgeous, but costs around £1600, so it'll be gel coat for me. The finish on the gel coat cars was very nice as well, it just means no metallics. Steve and french in the lights even with a gel coat, so I'm gonna ask for that on mine.

I sat in the cockpit of the zetec car. This has the lowered seating position, which I am planning on going for. It was lowered around 40mm, but Steve reckons he could go lower. It felt perfect if you ask me. The seats were Mambo L7 cub sports and were very comfortable. I could've sat in it all day. It was reassuring as I felt a bit cramped in Steve Matthews car at Stoneleigh last weekend. That was probably due to the fact that his seats were forward a little on rails and he had quite a large steering wheel.

The other thing of note from the day was that they now offer a heated windscreen, which means no heater box and vents! This is a fantastic offering for those needing to IVA but not wanting the extra weight and complexity of a heater system.

No comments:

Post a Comment